What's new

Wild Mouse at BPB Closure - R.I.P. 1958-2017

Smithy

Strata Poster
Move those units in between the path and where the Mouse was and there's a fair bit of room to re-locate a ride as was rumoured.

Peet

Giga Poster
Wow what a sad looking empty space. Considering the attention that has been on the park with the construction of Icon, it's surprising they managed to get the mouse out of there without anybody noticing the truckloads of splintered wood (OR carefully disassembled pieces - Amanda and the Pleasure Beach keep using that word "dismantled" which is giving me what is almost certainly false hope!). It's also surprising they didn't even need to take down those games stalls to remove the mouse!

Good to see Trauma Towers gone though, that has been an eyesore ever since it closed.

Dipper_Dave

Roller Poster
Wow what a sad looking empty space. Considering the attention that has been on the park with the construction of Icon, it's surprising they managed to get the mouse out of there without anybody noticing the truckloads of splintered wood (OR carefully disassembled pieces - Amanda and the Pleasure Beach keep using that word "dismantled" which is giving me what is almost certainly false hope!). It's also surprising they didn't even need to take down those games stalls to remove the mouse!

Perhaps it WAS carefully disassembled so blocks of wood and parts can be sold onto coaster goons :)
That is a VERY sad pic though. Never imagined the Mouse to no longer be there :emoji_sob:

Coaster

Mega Poster
It's a lie though, even when announcing it they didn't have the guts to be honest.

They could have avoided it by saying something along the lines of "We are extremely sad to have to announce that the Wild Mouse will no longer form part of the ride lineup here at Blackpool Pleasure Beach."

Scott88

Hyper Poster
It's a lie though, even when announcing it they didn't have the guts to be honest.

They could have avoided it by saying something along the lines of "We are extremely sad to have to announce that the Wild Mouse will no longer form part of the ride lineup here at Blackpool Pleasure Beach."

It's kind of difficult to do though when you leave for your Christmas break on 22nd December and the Mouse is still standing with no news of its removal happening, I stand by what I have been saying since the day it was posted online, 99% of BPB's staff had absolutely no idea about it happening and only found out themselves as the news was being posted about on Facebook.

You can't keep making claims when you have literally nothing to back it up with, ask the person who runs RCCGB and the ECC if you don't believe me, they'll tell you the same as I've been telling you for the past week.

Coaster

Mega Poster
It's kind of difficult to do though when you leave for your Christmas break on 22nd December and the Mouse is still standing with no news of its removal happening, I stand by what I have been saying since the day it was posted online, 99% of BPB's staff had absolutely no idea about it happening and only found out themselves as the news was being posted about on Facebook.

You can't keep making claims when you have literally nothing to back it up with, ask the person who runs RCCGB and the ECC if you don't believe me, they'll tell you the same as I've been telling you for the past week.
My post you have quoted above addresses the quality of the statement released by the park, not when it was released, therefore I don't understand how the staff being on their Christmas holiday is relevant?

In response to your comments regarding when it was released, the higher-ups within BPB will have planned and organised the demolition, therefore I would suggest that they could (and perhaps should) have taken the relevant steps to make the relevant people aware so that a statement could have been put out as a matter of priority. I haven't claimed that I think the staff knew before they left for Christmas, in this case I think those at the very top are to blame for failing to act fast enough on releasing a statement, and in addition whoever approved the appalling statement which was (hurriedly) released last Saturday.

Last edited:

Dave

CF Legend
My post you have quoted above addresses the quality of the statement released by the park, not when it was released, therefore I don't understand how the staff being on their Christmas holiday is relevant?

In response to your comments regarding when it was released, the higher-ups within BPB will have planned and organised the demolition, therefore I would suggest that they could (and perhaps should) have taken the relevant steps to make the relevant people aware so that a statement could have been put out as a matter of priority. I haven't claimed that I think the staff knew before they left for Christmas, in this case I think those at the very top are to blame for failing to act fast enough on releasing a statement, and in addition whoever approved the appalling statement which was (hurriedly) released last Saturday.

The board and senior managers don't have to tell everyone of every decision regardless of what it is about, because sometimes saying every decision can spiral out of control if told wrongly by the wrong person. I'm sure if it was not for the picture leak the Pleasure Beach would of made an announcement regarding the closure of the Wild Mouse, I'm sure some lessons have been learned from this particular incident.

lachlan

Mega Poster
I think crucially, they should have announced it was going before taking it down. Maybe they could have had an event to auction parts of the ride and the cars as a farewell.

Coaster

Mega Poster
The board and senior managers don't have to tell everyone of every decision regardless of what it is about, because sometimes saying every decision can spiral out of control if told wrongly by the wrong person. I'm sure if it was not for the picture leak the Pleasure Beach would of made an announcement regarding the closure of the Wild Mouse, I'm sure some lessons have been learned from this particular incident.
I don't think anyone can say for definite whether BPB were planning to release a statement, but I would speculate that they may have been holding off so as to not impact on advance wristband or season pass sales. The way the statement was rushed out on Saturday doesn't exactly suggest that one was "planned" as such.

I believe that BPB could have taken much better steps to inform and appease fans of the Wild Mouse, and indeed the park, which would have lessened the impact, made the park appear to 'care' and in turn this would have created a much smaller backlash. In addition, I would suggest that the PR team ought to know so as to manage the announcement of such an event.

Last edited:

Robbie

Hyper Poster
If the management did it while most staff were on holiday and told no-one in advance then they must have known what they were doing was shameful and were clearly trying to hide it. Very poor.

Lofty

CF Legend
Not whatsoever, maybe their hand was just forced and instead of leaving a coaster SBNO all year and getting continuous messages about it throughout the year, they just got rid.

sandgrown

Mega Poster
I wrote to the Ples to tell them how upset I was, and they replied with the press release cut and pasted into an email.
Great work.

Lofty

CF Legend
I wrote to the Ples to tell them how upset I was, and they replied with the press release cut and pasted into an email.
Great work.

What did you expect them to do? You won’t be the only one that’s sad enough to take time out of their life to complain about something that’s done and dusted and not going to change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sandgrown

Mega Poster
What did you expect them to do? You won’t be the only one that’s sad enough to take time out of their life to complain about something that’s done and dusted and not going to change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well lofty, it's generally not considered good practice in customer care departments to send massive cut and pasted emails as replies as it annoys people who are already angry. Some degree of personalisation, or at least answers to one or two specific points raised, is seen as good form.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Not really. I'm not defending BPB as such, but...

They put together a press release saying exactly what they want to say. They owe nothing to individuals (the customer isn't always right and you can't please all of the people all of the time) and, well... It's just the best way to handle it.

I've seen so many companies get beaten by personal responses and had their replies used against them. The press release is all they wish to say on the matter. This is really common practice for customer services in these situations.

If it was "why is one cup of coffee more in this restaurant than another?" type of question, then yes, you'd get a personal response. For something big - you will only ever get the official line.