What's new

SFFT | Wonder Woman Golden Lasso | RMC Raptor

J Rod

Roller Poster
The track is so weird to look at. Its small size gives the illusion that the ride is massive.

Gazza

Giga Poster
Did they ever announce the price for this or the one at the worst park in California? I can't imagine the cost being that extreme.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Yeah I'm curious on the exact footprint, and cost of one of these, and how it compares with say a Free Spin.
I'd be down with these popping up.
If it turns out they have drastically reduced the cost of production of a coaster then it means we can get some really good layouts at smaller parks that otherwise wouldn't have the means.

And in terms of capacity, I'm not too concerned. Many parks can make do just fine with something below 800 pph, and an 8 car train, as depicted, is no worse than a Eurofighter, or El Loco or Big Dipper.

Pear

Strata Poster
fa37587de3e9dba846d7868f4cd1c5b6.jpg

Gazza

Giga Poster
It reminds me of a reverse version of the thing on Operation Enterprise.

"Non inverting dive loop” ?

Lofty

CF Legend
That dive loop looks really cool? You'll get a really nice pop of airtime as you head into it and then flat the rest of the way down - I'm a fan.

spicy

Giga Poster
Just looks bizarre. Looking forward to seeing the reviews once people have ridden it, I imagine it to either be glass smooth or really rattly?

Can't imagine that colour track is going to age too well after a few years when you can see where the wheels have been running. Also wish it interacted with the cliff like Krypton Coaster does.

Not sure if I love it or hate it :)

Matt N

CF Legend
Six Flags are saying it will be the smoothest coaster ever made because it only rides on one rail. I don't really buy that, because it will still have two wheels, and roughness is caused by the wheels being out of sync (I think?).

Lofty

CF Legend
Six Flags are saying it will be the smoothest coaster ever made because it only rides on one rail. I don't really buy that, because it will still have two wheels, and roughness is caused by the wheels being out of sync (I think?).
No, not necessarily. A lot of roughness is caused by shoddy track techniques and bad transitions between track segments.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
From what I know about manufacturing...

More work put into a piece of track = more room for error. Part of the reason RMC coasters are so smooth is because such a large percentage of the work is done by CNC equipment and the only work done by humans is welding it together. So many more welds have to be done to accomodate ties, rails, track connectors, the like. This is just like ~10 welds per piece of track and while they are longer, it's more consistent than welding points of ties in spots along the spine. There's a little over half the room for them to fudge the manufacturing in these track pieces as there is on an I-box coaster with two rails that require a little less work than this one does. Not to mention it's easier to work with this one rail in a shop than it is something bigger, as it's small enough to fit through a regulation doorway as opposed to a huge piece of B&M or Intamin track.

Fun fact: Jeff Pike said that the way metal behaves when welded is actually the reason behind the long straightaway around Steel Force's turn, instead of accounting for it in the design Morgan just kind of let it do its thing and then added that to fill it in.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I general, I agree with what you're saying, but:
Not to mention it's easier to work with this one rail in a shop than it is something bigger, as it's small enough to fit through a regulation doorway as opposed to a huge piece of B&M or Intamin track.
You're not wrong, but don't forget that this is a tiny coaster. It's a single seat, with riders practically straddling the track. It's not comparable to any B&M or Intamin track.

Once RMC release/sell the T-Rex track, then I think the size comparisons are going to line up. The T-Rex track will be much closer to the standard size of B&M and Intamin track.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
^That is very true, there's really nothing on the market exactly like it but treating it like a scaled down version of the larger tracks on the market, the process by which it is made has less room for error. But I'm pretty sure they'll have no problem taking what they've learned making these two and scaling it up to make sure the T-Rex coasters are just as smooth.

Regardless, even if it's a little rattly (which I doubt it'll be in the slightest), the fact that they've managed to get this to even work to begin with is impressive as hell.