What's new

Wild Mouse at BPB Closure - R.I.P. 1958-2017

spicy

Giga Poster
Absolutely gutted. One of the best coasters in the U.K and a truly unique wild experience which won’t ever be repeated.

As for BPB they should be ashamed of themselves. It’s lucky the Nash, Big Dipper etc are listed as they clearly can’t be trusted to preserve U.K. coaster heritage. Such a shame the mouse never got listed status.

Smithy

Strata Poster
It will be seen as a mistake from a heritage point of view - not just from the type of enthusiast who posts on here, but by the people of Blackpool. We will miss it terribly. It's the most significant ride that we've ever lost. Also, as I stated before, Icon will just be some other ride in 10, 20 years' time or whatever, whereas the Mouse's uniqueness would continue to grow and grow, whilst already having the intrinsic value of actually being a good coaster.

Yeah that's fair actually. From an operational point of view, I honestly don't see it affecting them that much, if at all. But it is a massive loss for the history of the park, the nostalgia of the park. In the grand scheme of things, there's still so much more in the park, particularly things that are protected, that will ensure BPB will always have that charm of being one big cluster of rides.

lachlan

Mega Poster
It sucks, obviously it won't hurt them financially but it's a kick in the teeth that they didn't even give it a send off, and it's not like they are about to use that space to install something better.

Let's hope Icon is a success and they can install something nice a few years down the line

Looking at RCDB I noticed the Virginia Reel was also closed after 60 years, in 1982. Is anybody here old enough to remember it?

sandgrown

Mega Poster
Yeah that's fair actually. From an operational point of view, I honestly don't see it affecting them that much, if at all. But it is a massive loss for the history of the park, the nostalgia of the park. In the grand scheme of things, there's still so much more in the park, particularly things that are protected, that will ensure BPB will always have that charm of being one big cluster of rides.

I think that the more they damage the park's USP as a mix of old and new, the more BPB looks like a **** modern-day theme park. That could end up being an issue if they aren't careful.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
They could always put it next to it, like they did the log flume for this season, but on the other side. There's definately room between the pier and the go karts for them to fit it. It's pretty much the perfect size!

Unless it means the Pleasure Beach are refurbishing it or they will be returning the Reverchon steel mouse, this is interesting. Maybe not all hope is lost? It could explain why the Pleasure Beach have been so quiet about this...

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
Removing a ride like this without any fanfare or a farewell weekend is a slap in the face to long-term visitors. It feels a bit like they don't care about us. They could easily have explained the decisions that led to the closure and most people would understand. But to do it like these feels like they know it's a :emoji_poop:ty move and are trying to hide it.

They probably were, but a leaked photograph has caught them off guard on a weekend. Hence the rushed statement.

That said, It was only a matter of time before a passer by could have spotted it was missing (there IS a point along the promenade where you can see through the gate enough to tell, at least according to streetview)

it's nothing short of a disgrace the way the ride has been unceremoniously torn down with no initial statement made to appease long standing fans of the ride or the park. In addition, the statement the park have hurriedly released today doesn't even care to mention what a fantastic coaster it was, the history behind it or the legacy it left. It's like they couldn't wait to be rid of it,

Exactly - anyone reading that post would think they were just talking about a reverchon spinner or something equally crap, rather than a ride of such historical significance.

Still keep thinking there's going to be another post saying "ok guys, it was just photoshop- it's still there!"

sandgrown

Mega Poster
I noticed that as long as 48 hours ago the Wikipedia for the ride had already been put into the past tense and had the status "demolished". I'm not saying that means anything either way, but a curiosity in context of what's happened today.

I actually re-edited the page myself thinking that it was nonsense.

rob666

Hyper Poster
It sucks, obviously it won't hurt them financially but it's a kick in the teeth that they didn't even give it a send off, and it's not like they are about to use that space to install something better.

Let's hope Icon is a success and they can install something nice a few years down the line

Looking at RCDB I noticed the Virginia Reel was also closed after 60 years, in 1982. Is anybody here old enough to remember it?
Yupp, me...I am that old!
Loved the ride...was my favourite ride on the park as it was such a one off.
Imagine river rapids style car, slow spinning, with bench seating and no seatbelts, down a series of u turn bends down a long slope.
It did a couple of drops near the bottom, then ran under the ride in the dark to the exit.
Watched it get pulled down after a tip off, very sad to see it go, like with the mouse, but it was rotten as hell, and you could tell when they pulled it down.
As a little kid it was about 10 p a ride, and I always tried to get a quidsworth.
Often ended up sat on the floor, with the odd stranger falling on top of you.

lachlan

Mega Poster
Yupp, me...I am that old!
Loved the ride...was my favourite ride on the park as it was such a one off.
Imagine river rapids style car, slow spinning, with bench seating and no seatbelts, down a series of u turn bends down a long slope.
It did a couple of drops near the bottom, then ran under the ride in the dark to the exit.
Watched it get pulled down after a tip off, very sad to see it go, like with the mouse, but it was rotten as hell, and you could tell when they pulled it down.
As a little kid it was about 10 p a ride, and I always tried to get a quidsworth.
Often ended up sat on the floor, with the odd stranger falling on top of you.
Thanks for your comment! It must have been worse seeing it demolished since it was the ONLY Virginia Reel.

Would love to travel back in time and see how it compares to your typical Reverchon spinner.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
JtkUI05.jpg

Just saying'.