What's new

Reopen American Adventure Theme Park

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I know the chance of this place reopening is slim, but a petition on Change.org, that will be sent to the council has reached over 9,800 signatures out of 10,000. So, I think we could help out, if some of you could sign this. Are you really a true enthusiast if you don't? By the way, it's free. I think this is likely to reopen more than the London resort construction ever starting.

Here's the petition:- https://www.change.org/p/derbyshire...-and-reopen-the-american-adventure-theme-park

Smithy

Strata Poster
Are you serious?

I'll park the whole "Change.org is such a ****ing stupid 2017 thing where idiots think they can change the world by typing their email address" argument and focus on just how utterly, utterly pointless the whole discussion is.

And I know I'm not the only one because I've seen people try and defend it with "you never know" paper-thin replies on Facebook.

The chance of the place re-opening isn't slim. Slim implies there's actually a chance. The closest you're going to get to an American Adventure is if you're travelling to the states from a majority Muslim country in the near future.

What would signing this achieve? Are the council just going to decide to open up the mass of open, empty land, take on the massive loss-making site and pump imaginary money into it to get it back operating again?

Do these 9800 idiots think if they kick and scream loud enough a business just appears out of thin air with the money, expertise, experience and desire to run a successful theme park?

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
This obviously won't happen because, as has been said, you can't simply petition a business into existence.

However, you can't knock petitions entirely...sometimes. For example, forcing the government to debate things can be quite useful, even if it's just to keep it on the agenda. I signed one against the badger cull that was later debated in the commons and the published discussion was actually really interesting.

But a theme park coming back from the dead...err no.

Sandman

Giga Poster
Imagine being Derbyshire County Council reading this petition and actually considering re-opening a former failing theme park for 10,000 people. Now imagine the headlines.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Are you really a true enthusiast if you don't?

I like following construction of rides all over the world, travelling ages to places to ride a bloody Wacky Worm for a +1 to my count, spending countless hours go ride great rides, etc. etc.

But I'm not a true enthusiast because I'm not putting my email on a petition.

K.

Sandman

Giga Poster
I've seen these sort of petitions at a local level for years with residents pushing for a re-opening of Frontierland. The best bit is that the local council are struggling to even get a bargain basement business like B&M (not the manufacturer) onto the site. If you can't get a ****ing home bargains, how are you expecting a theme park?

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
American Adventure Could include A dark ride with a tour of how American Adventure first looked like when it opened. This would be a huge boost! The petition is stopping on til May 2018. I would love it if the council actually brought this back, because there is no other theme park in Derbyshire only Gulliver's kingdom Let's find the right investors for the return of The American Adventure Theme park. Let's stop this hideous plan to build houses! Let's all do a protest.

With this compelling argument, I'm amazed it only has 9,800 'signatures' :eek:

In reality, I'm shocked that what is effectively the inane babbling of an over-enthusastic millennial has managed to attract that much interest.

Matt N

CF Legend
If they were to reopen the park, then they would basically have to build a whole new theme park from scratch, because the park has been shut for 11, going on 12, years now, all of the roller coasters and other rides have been removed so it's basically now a flat, withering bit of land, so if they were to "reopen" the park, then it would be a completely different park to what once was, so it's better to call it a new park. And for it to be popular or for it to have a remote chance of succeeding, it would either have to be built by a large and well known company or it would have to have some sort of commercial backing. I don't know this for certain, but something tells me that you can't just build a theme park from the ground up with a couple million pounds anymore. You need big money to build a proper theme park now. Yes, I know there was a project considered in Llanelli a couple of years ago with a load of Vekomas in it, but that sort of disappeared into nowhere. Basically, what I'm saying is that in American Adventure's current state (flat bit of land with no trace that a theme park ever existed there), it's not reopening American Adventure because you're basically having to build a new park, and that's not financially viable unless it's got major financial backing (e.g. London Resort) or is being built by a large, well-known company (e.g. Six Flags Dubai and the number of Legolands Merlin is spurting out). It could be possible to build a theme park with a couple million pounds and a flat plot of land and it could be successful for all I know, I'm ever the optimist. For reference, I still think that London Resort has a chance of happening, and judging by you guys' opinions, that takes a certain degree of optimism. I think it would only have been good for them to pursue reopening American Adventure if there was infrastructure and some rides still there (e.g. SFNO and Kentucky Kingdom from 2010 to 2014), which there obviously isn't at American Adventure.
P.S. Sorry for the long post.

Will

Strata Poster
I hate to be the dissident voice (actually, that's a total lie) but I think there's more chance of Woolworths reopening. In fact, I miss Woolworths more than AA.
Also, that bloody petition website sends me too much spam email as it is.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Well it has just cleared 10K supporters, and the new target is 15K, just saying.
seIrDRv.gif