What's new

Phantasialand | F. L. Y. | Vekoma Launched Flying Coaster | 2020

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
I'm sure it means nothing but they put steampunk themed characters in the Christmas firework show this year complete with jet pack pilot characters who did a little "flying" bit. Would they do that if the ride wasn't opening next year? .........Possibly.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
I'm sure it means nothing but they put steampunk themed characters in the Christmas firework show this year complete with jet pack pilot characters who did a little "flying" bit. Would they do that if the ride wasn't opening next year? .........Possibly.
The show has been very steampunk since Christmas 2015. So I think it's probably a coincidence. But then again given how many years in advance Phantasia plan things perhaps there will be some sort of connection? I've seen a few people on German forums question if there is a link since Rookburgh was announced.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
The show has been very steampunk since Christmas 2015. So I think it's probably a coincidence. But then again given how many years in advance Phantasia plan things perhaps there will be some sort of connection? I've seen a few people on German forums question if there is a link since Rookburgh was announced.
It was my first time viewing and I instantly thought it was linked but could just be early as you say. It was the jet pack people that seemed particularly non-coincidental to me. Might mean nothing.

Last edited:

Matt N

CF Legend
Knowing Phantasialand's history with enthusiasts, they've probably put a giant dome over the construction site... ;)

JoshC.

Strata Poster
There's few construction pictures at the moment because:
-It's difficult to see the construction site.
-There's probably nothing to see. It's been cold / snowing round the area, which is far from ideal for building a coaster, especially if there have been groundwork issues as rumoured.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
There's nothing really new to see - or at least from the view points on the ground you can't see anything.
Also obviously work stopped over Christmas holidays and there was some harsh days with a lot of snow last month.

Although they have been working away when they can, so things are still progressing. I believe last week one of the cranes was quite active. And at the start of December they had a digger on site to remove some of the earth ramp to clear more space at the bottom of the site.

The facade wall next to the already installed track is still being worked on by Universal Rocks - the scaffolding is covered in tarpaulins (Wickerman at Alton Towers style) probably to protect them from the weather, so we can't see what they are doing or how that's progressing.

Also for anyone wondering Tobi, of Klugheim model fame, is modelling Rookburgh and updating it as things progress however the park have asked him to keep it private and not publish anything on line yet. When they give him the go a head he will share it (probably when it opens or the park start their own construction updates).

Last edited:

peep

CF Legend
Also for anyone wondering Tobi, of Klugheim model fame, is modelling Rookburgh and updating it as things progress however the park have asked him to keep it private and not publish anything on line yet. When they give him the go a head he will share it (probably when it opens or the park start their own construction updates).

This is interesting. Are they feeding him updates for his model too? Sort of defeats the point of why he was doing it in the first place though either way.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Doesn't surprise me that they've effectively censored Tobi. Was always surprising they let him make such detailed models (which gave more insight than pictures would have done frankly)...even more surprising they rewarded him with an entry to the preview night (whilst stoping Looopings from going because they published a picture...). At least we'll see the models at some point as his Klugheim ones were brilliant.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
I think Tobi does it for his own fun. The park management were very impressed with his work, they thought it was great and invited him to the opening and made a big ideal out of him. In an interview the project manager spoke about how amazed he was with it and he followed the updates closely.

What makes Rookburgh different? Who knows. Maybe the park just really want to keep things secret, and release updates in their own way. It's odd. But sure we'll just have to see what happens.
Maybe they've promised him another invitation to be on the first train of F.L.Y. in return for not releasing his model. :D

(whilst stoping Looopings from going because they published a picture...).
Looopings are scum. The Daily Mail of theme park news sites. They have been on the war path for a while now with Phantasialand (the latest of many parks they have made enemies of). Among their lovely articles they have published illegally taken images, stolen images and write a load of rubbish about the park, including personal attacks on individuals who work for Phantasialand.
So they were not invited to the opening of Klugheim (and they didn't take it well) and I'm certain they won't be getting an invite to Rookburgh. I wouldn't pay attention to what they publish without fact checking it.

I mean Looopings is a site that thought Robb Alvey tweeting that he preferred Lost Gravity to Baron 1898 was newsworthy. And then got in trouble with him for using his pictures in their article without permission or crediting him...
And there was the time they bragged about how they pissed off Efteling by purchasing advertising space outside the park...

Last edited:

Pear

Strata Poster
Yeah there is no way that this can be ready for 2018 at this point. Especially with the cold weather and Christmas breaks, I cannot see them completing the world's longest flyer and immersively theming it by summer.

Last edited:

Ethan

Strata Poster
Yeah there is no way that this can be ready for 2019 at this point. Especially with the cold weather and Christmas breaks, I cannot see them completing the world's longest flyer and immersively theming it by summer.
Assuming you meant 2018? I sure hope this is done by 2019 haha...
I agree though, I don't see how it could ever be finished for this year. At least nothing about it should feel rushed!

MrRC

Mega Poster
I know that TOBI is making an NL2 version of Rookburgh, but can't reveal his progress. And he is telling me that it is gonna be BETTER then he did with Klugheim !!!

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Theming uncovered!
Although the most visible thing is the back of the facade wall...
a7d0be93af041048a58ce27a578e05bb.jpg

c8506f5b770cea67cf018dfa084a6338.jpg

From PhantaFriends.de

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
I love that in this day and age they've managed to keep this well and truly under the radar. I'm so excited just because I WANT TO KNOW. Ahh.

streetmagix

Mega Poster
I love that in this day and age they've managed to keep this well and truly under the radar. I'm so excited just because I WANT TO KNOW. Ahh.

I know right? With the Internet seemingly nothing is a secret anymore. Just look at The Wicker Man (barring any surprises of course).

I don't know the laws in Germany but would they have had to submit any planning applications for F.L.Y.? Or were the plans submitted sufficiently vague as to not give the game away?

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster
Pretty sure that park can just ask for them not to lay around on the internet. At least they've done that in Denmark a couple of times because of sneaky enthusiasts ;)

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Recently, Het Klokhuis, a Dutch TV programme for young children did an episode all about rollercoasters. They went behind the scenes at the Vekoma factory and had a brief look at the F.L.Y. test set up. The rotation mechanism was deactivated during filming, and this was seemingly filmed before seats were added.

Coasterfriends.de forum user Mario M made these screenshots.
9501420d1515878439-201x-neuheit-fly-launched-flying-coaster-themenbereich-rookburgh-phantasialand-1.jpg

9501421d1515878441-201x-neuheit-fly-launched-flying-coaster-themenbereich-rookburgh-phantasialand-2.jpg

9501422d1515878442-201x-neuheit-fly-launched-flying-coaster-themenbereich-rookburgh-phantasialand-3.jpg

9501423d1515878444-201x-neuheit-fly-launched-flying-coaster-themenbereich-rookburgh-phantasialand-4.jpg

9501424d1515878445-201x-neuheit-fly-launched-flying-coaster-themenbereich-rookburgh-phantasialand-5.jpg

Here you can see the red and blue marking the magnets for the launch.
9501425d1515878447-201x-neuheit-fly-launched-flying-coaster-themenbereich-rookburgh-phantasialand-6.jpg

9501426d1515878449-201x-neuheit-fly-launched-flying-coaster-themenbereich-rookburgh-phantasialand-7.jpg

Link to the episode: https://www.npo.nl/het-klokhuis/12-01-2018/VPWON_1269870

To see the prototype in action the time codes are 12:02 - 12:42.