4. Force Awakens
5. A New Hope
6. The Last Jedi
7. The Phantom Menace
8. Attack of the Clones
9. Revenge of the Sith

balrog

Mega Poster
I'm waiting for a second viewing as we speak. This movie is too dense to be properly reviewed this early. Definitely top half though.

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
As someone who is not a particular Star Wars fan but enjoyed the original three films, The Last Jedi was kind of cumbersome.

jj23w

Hyper Poster
Saw The Last Jedi at midnight, so new ranking:

1. Rogue One
2. Return of the Jedi
3. Empire Strikes Back
4. Force Awakens
5. A New Hope
6. The Last Jedi
7. The Phantom Menace
8. Attack of the Clones
9. Revenge of the Sith

You've basically won worst Star Wars list last Jedi is top 3 material.

I'm waiting for a second viewing as we speak. This movie is too dense to be properly reviewed this early. Definitely top half though.

I like you it is top half material.

As someone who is not a particular Star Wars fan but enjoyed the original three films, The Last Jedi was kind of cumbersome.

It takes the best bits of Empire and Return and then makes a good film lol.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
The Last Jedi was kind of cumbersome.

This. I also think on subsequent viewings when the "surprises" aren't a surprise any more, there'll be diminishing returns on further viewing.

I will have to watch it again though just to make sure.

It just didn't do anything really unexpected. I didn't connect overly with the characters and didn't feel any threat was actually present. It was just lumpy.

However... It's still good :) I know Empire is also cumbersome at times, but it kept to just two subplots, not 18 or whatever this had in it. This is reaching though for those kind of heights and it doesn't fall too far.

I reckon it's somewhere under Empire, ANH and Rogue One, just above ROTJ, probably above Force Awakens.

My biggest issue? It didn't feel like a Star Wars film. The elements were there, but in a blender, rather than delicately placed into the recipe. As a sci-fi film, good though :)

davidm

Strata Poster
Yeah just got back... wasn't too impressed sadly. Half of it was really good, half of it wasn't ; the good half probably makes it ok overall, far too long as well.

Porg things could have been a lot worse than they were thankfully.

TommyAlex

Mega Poster
Surprisingly the Porgs are probably the only thing I don't have a problem with in Last Jedi. They're there to sell toys, they serve their purpose without taking or adding anything from/to the film.

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
Updated list:

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Return Of The Jedi
4. The Force Awakens
5. The Last Jedi
6. Rogue One
7. Revenge Of The Sith
8. The Phantom Menace
9. Attack Of The Clones.

I enjoyed The Last Jedi but it has some serious flaws, which I will save for another time when spoilers are fairer game.

balrog

Mega Poster
I reckon it's somewhere under Empire, ANH and Rogue One, just above ROTJ, probably above Force Awakens.
I agree. Although Rogue one is so different I don't really want to rank it angainst the others.

I liked it on the first viewing, but the 2nd one really made me love it more. I'd say one subplot did feel more harry potter-ish than star wars, but it is not bad either, just weaker than the rest, and it expand the universe quite a bit, so it doesn't bother me. The film also have some of the strongest moments of the entire saga, and continue ROgue One's task to dig deeper
into the meaning and consequences of all that happens in SW.
I think it is a great, slightly imperfect, movie. But frankly, except ESB and maybe RO, imperfection is a shared characteristic of all SW films.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
We're due for a Last Jedi update! My thoughts before:

1. Empire Strikes Back - Yes, it is the best Star Wars movie for advancing plot and providing good depth to the 4-6 story arc.
2. Force Awakens - This movie carried even more pressure than Episode 1 for delivering a good story and set pace for the 7-9 story arc. Yes, it's a straight archetype rip of A New Hope... but it also did not disappoint for visual and story work.
3. Return of the Jedi - I just really love the Battle of the Second Death Star.
4. A New Hope - How can you not like A New Hope?
5. Rogue One - this is a damn good Star Wars movie, especially for showing more of the war element for the Rebel Alliance. I also loved how they lean into the lack of Jedis as an important story arc, while also creating my new favorite Star Wars character, Chirrut Imwe.
6. Revenge of the Sith - My favorite of the prequels... but that isn't saying a lot.
7. Phantom Menace - Redeemed for having Qui-gon Jinn.
8. Attack of the Clones - Crap acting, horrible love story, and Hayden Christensen can suck it.

Rogue One is a great addition to the franchise, and does justice as a true prequel for A New Hope. Hoping Disney has set a good pace on which they'll build their Han Solo and Boba Fett movie spinoffs.

1. Empire Strikes Back - Yes, it is the best Star Wars movie for advancing plot and providing good depth to the 4-6 story arc.
2. Last Jedi - While Force Awakens carried an aura of rediscovering the franchise, Last Jedi provided further build-in of the third story arc and let us get to know the new cast even more. Really enjoyed the weaving of stories, and cinematography of Rian Johnson.
3. A New Hope - Bumping this up, now thinking more through the general story of Star Wars. I mean, how can you not like A New Hope?
4. Force Awakens - This movie carried even more pressure than Episode 1 for delivering a good story and set pace for the 7-9 story arc. Yes, it's a straight archetype rip of A New Hope... but it also did not disappoint for visual and story work.
5. Rogue One - So I've bumped this up: this is a damn good Star Wars movie, especially for showing more of the war element for the Rebel Alliance. I also loved how they lean into the lack of Jedis as an important story arc, while also creating my new favorite Star Wars character, Chirrut Imwe.
6. Return of the Jedi - I just really love the Battle of the Second Death Star.
7. Revenge of the Sith - My favorite of the prequels... but that isn't saying a lot.
8. Phantom Menace - Redeemed for having Qui-gon Jinn.
9. Attack of the Clones - Crap acting, horrible love story, and Hayden Christensen can suck it.

davidm

Strata Poster
3. A New Hope - Bumping this up, now thinking more through the general story of Star Wars. I mean, how can you not like A New Hope?
7. A New Hope - How can you not like A New Hope?
Thats Howie-logic right there.... ;)

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
giphy.gif

Snoo

The Legend
We're due for a Last Jedi update! My thoughts before:

2. Last Jedi - While Force Awakens carried an aura of rediscovering the franchise, Last Jedi provided further build-in of the third story arc and let us get to know the new cast even more. Really enjoyed the weaving of stories, and cinematography of Rian Johnson.
4. Force Awakens - This movie carried even more pressure than Episode 1 for delivering a good story and set pace for the 7-9 story arc. Yes, it's a straight archetype rip of A New Hope... but it also did not disappoint for visual and story work.
5. Rogue One - So I've bumped this up: this is a damn good Star Wars movie, especially for showing more of the war element for the Rebel Alliance. I also loved how they lean into the lack of Jedis as an important story arc, while also creating my new favorite Star Wars character, Chirrut Imwe.
6. Return of the Jedi - I just really love the Battle of the Second Death Star.
7. Revenge of the Sith - My favorite of the prequels... but that isn't saying a lot.
8. Phantom Menace - Redeemed for having Qui-gon Jinn.
9. Attack of the Clones - Crap acting, horrible love story, and Hayden Christensen can suck it.

This guy.. especially because I saw it WITH this guy. I've been rethinking my thoughts as of late and I did really enjoy TLJ. I think it will be a divisive film however.

Edward M

Strata Poster
Okay, wow, um, that trailer was really good. Like, this seems like an actual movie. It doesn't seem just like a soulless product. This is either genius marketing, or this may end up being good, maybe even great.

Um, so, ya, it was great, almost amazing. It has some notable flaws, many in fact. It's a bit of mess with . However, I loved how risky it was. It's a film that's going to piss off a lot of people, and that's why I find it so great. It's a bold move by Disney, but it paid off I thought. It was an actual film, with story arcs for each main character and some great performances, notably Daisy Ridley. I actually cared about all the characters (@Rogue One), and the film was filled with tension since actions tended to have consequences (@Marvel Films). Overall, it was just great. Here's my new rankings:

1. Empire Strikes Back (arguably the best blockbuster ever made)
  2. New Hope (a classic that still holds up with many repeat viewings)
  3. Last Jedi (refer to above)
  4. Return of the Jedi (Those damn ewoks... Has a good Luke plot but everything else is a bit trash)
  5. Force Awakens (I quite liked it, but it doesn't have too much originality. Still, a very well made film with practical effects <3)
  6. Revenge of the Sith (Horrible film but is almost iconic in parts with its weird, jumbled plot. Those performances tho)
  7. Phantom Menace (far worse than Rogue One but has a certain "so bad it's good" quality for me)
  8. Rogue One (s**t, boring, soulless s**t)
  9. Attack of the Clones (arguably the worst blockbuster ever made)

I also have to say, um, Rogue One was terrible. I was bored out of my mind in that movie. Oh, ya, spoilers but they get the plans. Geez, the intensity of those final scenes. I had no idea where it could possibly go. These important characters which, HINT, aren't in the other films may make it?!? Will they get the plans? Did you see a New Hope? Then you know what happens, there's no tension involved. The only way the film could have worked would be interesting characters. Tell me about Jin Erso as a person, not describing how she looks or what her role is. In fact, without looking it up, name 3 to 4 original characters introduced in the film. I like films with characters actually. This film had no characters. In fact, it had no character at all. It just took elements of Star Wars that everyone loved, shoved together a horrible plot, and forgot to write interesting people to have the audience invested in the story. I only enjoy an action scene if I care about the characters within the film. I don't care that LOOK AT DAT SHIP HIT DAT OTHER SHIP THEN THEY GO BOOM. It's the same CGI crap I can see in any other movie in the same cinema. Give me something unique. Oh look, an AT-AT, I recognize that. Oh look, C3PO, I recognize that. Oh look, the Death Star, I recognize that. Oh look, Princess Leia, I recognize her, that CGI doesn't look terrifying at ALL. THEN DARTH VADER TURNED INTO A VIDEO GAME AND MOWED DOWN THOSE GUYS IT WAS SO COOOOL. For some reason, a month or so later, he forgot all those awesome sword moves when he had that fight with Obi-Wan. Ugh, Darth Vader in that film was just embarrassing, shoved in to sell more toys that Christmas. There was nothing new about the film, and I was just praying for it to end. At least the prequels had some originality, this was just nothing. It felt like a fan film with a $200 million budget (it actually was, just look up the story behind it). You can enjoy the film, but I'm seeing some people have it wayyyy too high. IMO, should definitely be 6th or below.

Last edited:

balrog

Mega Poster
But movies don't need to have characters, or suspence, or anything in particular. A movie can be awesome without any dialogue nor character nor an involved plot. Rogue One has some of the best visuals ever in a movie, and I'm not talking battle scenes, I'm talking about those slow moving ones, plus the destruction of Jedah. It has a nice atmosphere thoughout. It also shows the rebellion fron an all new angle.
You didn't like it, fine, but it is not a bad movie.

Plus, don't embarrass yourself with the comparison between swordfights. First, Vader doesn't use any fancy looking prequel style moves in Rogue One, just plain old butchering. Second, he shows he can move in ESB. He just doesn't need to in NH : that fight isn't about lightsaber, we all know it, and the films are visually inconsistent anyway, they must be taken as depiction of the story, not the actual history shot on the spot, or you are going to discover a lot of bigger issues (like why are they speaking english ? Why are padme and anakin aging at different rates ? Why does mon mothma's face completely change ? And Obi Wan's ? Why R2 forget about it's thrusters ? )

Last edited:

Edward M

Strata Poster
But movies don't need to have characters, or suspence, or anything in particular. A movie can be awesome without any dialogue nor character nor an involved plot.

Um, no. A movie cannot be awesome without dialogue, characters, or a plot. You can enjoy the visuals, but that's not a movie. The reason Star Wars works is characters. In fact, the reason any movie works is characters. The statement that movies don't need to have characters or *suspense is baffling to me. I study film, and those things are the basics of filmmaking and storytelling as a whole. A film without characters is a sequence of colors with no stakes or interest. You can enjoy a movie without suspense; that's fine. However, to say movies don't need them, is an insult to the art form.

Rogue One has some of the best visuals ever in a movie
Hahahahahaha. You really need to see more movies then. I can think of 20+ movies from this year alone with a far more interesting visual style than Rogue One. I mean, really? What about David Lynch films? Paul Thomas Anderson? Martin Scorcese? The Coen Brothers? The film is a boring mess storywise, and it doesn't matter that some CGI ships blowed up. I can't even remember the settings in that movie cause I didn't car about what happened. I know the ending already. To quote Han Solo "let's blow this thing and go home."

I'm not talking battle scenes, I'm talking about those slow moving ones
HAHAHAHAHAHA. WHAT? The slow moving what? What does slow moving ones mean? You mean those horribly boring talking scenes where no one cares about any characters?

plus the destruction of Jedah. It has a nice atmosphere thoughout. It also shows the rebellion fron an all new angle.
So what? How does that make it a good and interesting movie? Cause it had a nice atmosphere (aka the film had a color palette). What new angle too? What, cause it showed other people *from the rebellion? What did you leave that film with that you didn't already come in with? It's all recycled, and that's fine if you enjoy that. But know it's nostalgia because nothing about the movie was new in the slightest. It was just used pre-established visuals.[/QUOTE]

You didn't like it, fine, but it is not a bad movie.
I literally have pointed out why it's a bad movie to me. You can like it, fine, but you can't say it's an objectively good movie. I have plenty more evidence why the film didn't work.

Plus, don't embarrass yourself with the comparison between swordfights. First, Vader doesn't use any fancy looking prequel style moves in Rogue One, just plain old butchering. Second, he shows he can move in ESB. He just doesn't need to in NH : that fight isn't about lightsaber, we all know it, and the films are visually inconsistent anyway, they must be taken as depiction of the story, not the actual history shot on the spot
What depiction of the story did Darth Vader have in Rogue One? It have any effect on the plot whatsoever. In ESB, the reason the fight works is cause we know the characters and care about the outcome. It's not cause "he can move." You're right on one thing though. The fights aren't about lightsabers; it's about the conflict's between the characters fighting. You've almost destroyed your own argument cause that scene is only about Vader's lightsaber. There is no internalization of character involved with that fight. It is flashy colors for the sake of flashy colors.

you are going to discover a lot of bigger issues (like why are they speaking english ? Why are padme and anakin aging at different rates ? Why does mon mothma's face completely change ? And Obi Wan's ? Why R2 forget about it's thrusters ? )
Um, when did I defend the prequels? They're some of the worst films ever made. All of those issues I have taken into account, and they do irritate me. Just because the prequels are inconsistent doesn't make Rogue One a good movie. You have showed no indication of why Rogue One is a good movie.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
I can't even remember the settings in that movie cause I didn't car about what happened. I know the ending already.
Sounds like you ruined it for yourself then really, which is a shame.
I'm very glad I'm not the film critic type, cinema sounds a lot less fun with all these 'objectively good' arguments.

Loved Last Jedi. Perhaps not as hard-hitting as I imagined it to be, but some really amazing moments in there. Not gonna rank til a rewatch.