What's new

Phantasialand | F. L. Y. | Vekoma Launched Flying Coaster | 2020

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster
It's wonderful to see a park going to these lengths to keep their older attractions up to the standard. They really care and it's awesome to see.

Pear

Strata Poster
There's no point in them putting effort into Nighthawk if it's going to be removed fairly soon. It would just be a waste of money.

Ireeb

Mega Poster
There's no point in them putting effort into Nighthawk if it's going to be removed fairly soon. It would just be a waste of money.
"Soon" means since 17 years? Because that's about the time since it has been neglected. Also, as far as I know there is no information on the future of the coaster. Most people and Phantasialand-Fans think the coaster it still okay, but everything around it sucks. That's why I am not entirely sure whether it will be replaced or renovated. Every part of the park represents the park, and disappointments can have a big impact on the opinion of the visitors, and to be honest, I was pretty disappointed. On the one side the beautiful Taron, on the other side a completely unthemed coaster, I found that embarrassing for the park. I love Phantasialand, but as long as some things are neglected like that, it's far from perfect. It's such a small park, it should be possible to keep the stuff on equal levels, if bigger parks manage to do that, too.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
FreizeitparkCheck.de claims that they have been told by an "usually very well informed source" (however they do not want to reveal their source) that Rookburgh will feature the park's third themed hotel. The hotel will also eventually become the new home for Fantissima (the park's dinner show) at a later date - they claim that Fantissima will stay where it is for a few more years as the park's next project will be replacing Geister Rikscha, not Temple of the Nighthawk and Hollywood Tour as was previously assumed/rumoured. They claim the China Town redevelopment will also see the area, including the Hotel Ling Bao, rethemed to a Tibetan/Himalayan theme.

The Rookburgh announcement sign did refer to experiencing the area 'by day and night' - interpreted by many to be a hint at a new hotel or/and a new Fantissima theatre. However with the announcement of F.L.Y. being the world's longest flying coaster and rumours of another family attraction in the area the hotel speculation had died down. It seems unlikely that they could fit a hotel in the area as well.

But maybe they can fit a hotel in?
Or the hotel could be on a bit of land not yet built on.
Between the current construction site and Wuze Town is a triangle of land which currently houses a backstage storage yard and a house. (highlighted in orange)
Alternatively the admin building between the site and the Berlin entrance could be replaced by a hotel. (highlighted in red)
24991391_1658030817596363_4448635032048284783_n.jpg

A user on the FreizeitparkCheck.de forum suggested the Berlin car park as a possible site (highlighted in blue) and then the park could connect it to the area via a bridge over the road. Although the park like to integrate their hotels with the area so I can't really see it being across the road.

Personally I'd take these rumours with a pinch of salt until there is any firm evidence. I certainly have my doubts over their claim that Hotel Ling Bao will be rethemed.
Also if the park were to build another hotel anytime soon many had expected it to go behind Kaiserplatz and the vertical garden wall at the Taron extension queueline.

Last edited:

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
A user on the FreizeitparkCheck.de forum suggested the Berlin car park as a possible site (highlighted in blue) and then the park could connect it to the area via a bridge over the road. Although the park like to integrate their hotels with the area so I can't really see it being across the road.

I think that trend of having integrated hotels will have to end due to park space - however they could build a tunnel UNDER the road - which could lead from an area straight into a hotel!

Smithy

Strata Poster
A third hotel?!

It hardly warrants having 2 hotels.

Not financially before a fanboy/girl jumps on that comment, rather in terms of what there is to do on site.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
A third hotel?!

Not financially before a fanboy/girl jumps on that comment, rather in terms of what there is to do on site.
As much as I do love the place, I'm inclined to agree. Surely there can't be that many people staying?

That said, maybe people are cottoning on to the Taron ERT... ;)

Georgie-M

Mega Poster
There is also the fact that the park takes a long while to get to from central Cologne and the nearby area isn't exactly flooded with hotels, so people have more of an excuse to book the hotel. The amount of stuff to do isn't too much of an issue in my opinion - compare it to a much larger park like Alton with its 4 hotel/holiday village things. Of course Towers has suffered from losing half its lineup and half a day there is spent travelling from ride to ride but I think including stuff like shows, which PL has tons of, easily brings Phantasia into multi-day territory, and with future developments this will likely improve further. Plus at least they aren't completely focusing only accommodation like certain parks.

JammyH

Hyper Poster
A third hotel?!

I think there is plenty to do at Phantasialand which justifies a nights stay, maybe even staying over for 2 nights. There is a vast array of rides and attractions to experience, along with a wide range of shows(at least 5) in both the summer and winter seasons. Not only this, there are so many different restaurants to experience over your stay there(because the food is amazing at Phantasia that dining is an experience in itself) as well as exploring the different themed areas and quieter areas of the parks(such as the Wasser-Wuze area).

Both times I have visited the park and stayed in the hotels, both of them have been full of people(with Matamba arguably usually being much busier than the Ling Bao). Maybe a third hotel isn't essential, however if they were to build one, I think there certainly would be enough demand and enough people staying across all three hotels.

The gate figures have only been rising since the introduction of Klugheim and once Rookburgh is introduced, they will certainly shoot up again. Additional events such as Silvesterparty, Celebration Days, Fantasypride, Wintertraum etc. which now regularly take place also increase demand for staying onsite as these run late into the night.

I'm pretty sure the nearest hotel which isn't on site is Hotel H+ and this is 5 mins in a cab away or 25-30 mins walk, and a lot of people would rather stay onsite and pay a more premium rate than have to be travelling to and from the park each morning of your visit.

Lofty

CF Legend
The park wouldn't even be considering another hotel if the occupancy rate wasn't so high on both hotels. Yeah, there's absolutely not enough to do in the parks to warrant three huge hotels, but people will come and stay there.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
In fairness, every time I've visited Phantasialand, I've only done one day, and had plenty of time to ride everything I wanted, do a couple of shows, and get on plenty of re-rides. So arguably, multiple days isn't necessary to do and enjoy the whole park (except during the busiest of times).

But isn't it simply down to the fact that people want to stay and do another day? Their hotels always seem popular despite the cost (I'm a cheapskate so their hotels seem expensive to me..), so adding more variety at high quality is only a good thing really. It does seem weird, but I guess the demand is there, so they'll succumb to it sooner or later.

Smithy

Strata Poster
I think there is plenty to do at Phantasialand which justifies a nights stay, maybe even staying over for 2 nights. There is a vast array of rides and attractions to experience, along with a wide range of shows(at least 5) in both the summer and winter seasons. Not only this, there are so many different restaurants to experience over your stay there(because the food is amazing at Phantasia that dining is an experience in itself) as well as exploring the different themed areas and quieter areas of the parks(such as the Wasser-Wuze area).

A 2 night stay? Really? If the queues are 90 minutes per ride, maybe. We had an overnight stay, arrived to the park about lunch time and was finished and good to go having done everything we wanted several times by late afternoon the following day. Unless you literally spend the third day wandering around the far end of the park pontificating about how amazing the fenceposts are, surely you'd have nothing left to do.

Notice that most of you have ignored where I clearly said "not financially". Obviously they're adding it because they deem the demand is there, I just find it strange that there is such a demand for it because I can't see why so many people would pay that premium to stay there.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
I'd happily stay for 2 nights and do two days at the park. Finally saw some shows this last trip and they were quite good. At a busy time of year, with shows and rerides, it'd be easy to have 2 full days.

Anyway, they are pushing corporate sales big time. Have you see the dedicated TV channels? The hotels have always been heaving and, as Lofty says, they wouldn't do it if they didn't think there was a need. I wouldn't be supprised if they make the new hotel more business-friendly with more meeting rooms, etc.

Ethan

Strata Poster
There is also the fact that the park takes a long while to get to from central Cologne and the nearby area isn't exactly flooded with hotels, so people have more of an excuse to book the hotel.

Have you been? It's literally a 15 minute train to Brühl and then a 10 minute ride on the park's fabulous bendy-bus to the entrance. It's easier to get to than Alton Towers, and probably Thorpe Park too.

As for hotels, I'm all for them building a third, if the rumours are actually true. I usually stay in the Ramada (think the name has recently changed) which is cheaper and a 35 minute walk away along a long straight road. I'd recommend that hotel, although I'd love to actually fork out the cash a little more and stay in an on-site hotel.

I think there's definitely enough to do for 2 days. Both times I have been, I've stayed for pretty much two entire days and we were never bored!

zazobo

Hyper Poster
It might be one of the easiest parks to get to from the local city/town!

There's definitely enough to do for two days!! I think I had two full days and a morning and in all fairness, had enough by the last morning but two days are very easy to fill. Although I should point out that I love to have a 'little sit down' with a beer/cup of tea throughout the day and soak in the atmosphere so I probably use up a fair bit of time on that...

Georgie-M

Mega Poster
Have you been? It's literally a 15 minute train to Brühl and then a 10 minute ride on the park's fabulous bendy-bus to the entrance. It's easier to get to than Alton Towers, and probably Thorpe Park too.
I think my memory might have tricked me a bit, that train ride felt much longer than 15 minutes!
But the point is that if you want to visit the park for more than a day trip and you don't feel like taking the public transport multiple days in a row, there aren't that many options. Parks like PA are a long way away from major hubs like Barcelona but Salou and other nearby towns are filled to the brim with hotels, and then there's parks like Liseberg, which is across the road from a transport hub in a major city. Even Thorpe, which I wouldn't take a train to if I was visiting despite having easy access to the line, has accommodation options in and around Chertsey should a visitor feel the need to stay there.
I admit that my experience in trips to parks is super limited, so that might be why the trip felt so long - I simply don't have enough to compare it to. Writing the post at 20 past midnight might also have affected me there....

Phantasiastisch

Mega Poster
I guess that there will be a new hotel in a few years, maybe right behind the berlin area, where the green Klugheim wall is standing at the moment or a new darkride could also fit in there because this site is way too close to the houses ( a hotel could be too noisy) . I hope that they will replace the office building at the Rookburgh area so they can fit something else in there: maybe a new hotel. On the right side of the site where there is still a house, they could build a new building for Fantissima. Another possibility is that they will replace temple of the nighthawk and Hollywood tour by a new hotel or darkride to keep that area quiet.

Beside all that, There are more important things to do in a short period. I'm waiting for the refurbishment of the Mexico area around Colorado Adventure. The station building and the queueline needs a quick refurbishment. The most logical thing would be that the queueline is going right from the entrance of the station building behind Tikal and under the rocks of the arena / showbuilding. Then there is also the possibility to separate the China area from the Mexico area. And my last thought is that they could replace Fenju Palace to the China entrance which could be closed then. So then there is the possibility to separate Klugheim, Mystery from China Town as well. Then all the areas are changed into 360° themed areas.

This is just what I would love to see happening. This are my crazy thoughts.

MrRC

Mega Poster
When they gonna replace GeisterRikscha, they will refurbish the queueline with station building from Colorado Adventure.