What's new

Playland's Castaway Cove | GaleForce | S&S Triple Launched

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Well, I did manage to ride GaleForce last week. Wild Waves is complete with a train on the track and the station was staffed....but I never saw it testing. (although a friend of mine had been there a few days previous and saw cycling empty/testing) so I would think it should be opening soon.

As far as GaleForce goes. It's pretty fun, I rode it twice. I think the best way to describe it is 'so bad it's actually good.' All the transitions are so oddly shaped and the forces are... Uh, Unique? But since it has a rather comfortable vest, there's no head banging or anything and while there is rattling or vibration, it's not rough

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
It's such a goofy looking ride. I kinda love it.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Actually its both $10 and $14....

If you buy a ticket from the window... FOR GaleForce, its $10 with the GaleForce ticket. If you buy a book of ride tickets (to split around all the rides in the park) it takes $14 worth of tickets for GaleForce. <3

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
Just when you thought we were done talking about this damn thing... they're taking it apart.
b742911fafc640943c6489dc08d44d5c.png
f29babeb5c3f37c0e1a2c353258ac32a.png
Apparently this is only for the winter (maintenance?). If this ends up needing yet another retracking, I'll be laughing my arse off

Pear

Strata Poster
aeeb1e258f88c029163d4dea1a328f30.jpg

A 125-foot-high roller coaster that serves as the centerpiece attraction at one of Ocean City’s oldest Boardwalk amusement parks is getting a new track to give passengers smoother rides.

The Gale Force roller coaster made its debut at Playland’s Castaway Cove in May, thrilling its riders with a series of twists, dips and loops on a serpentine-like track while traveling at more than 60 mph.

However, a Playland executive explained that an inspection found the track’s rails were not completely in alignment, giving passengers a slightly bumpier ride than intended.

“It was a little bumpy,” Brian Hartley, the amusement park’s vice president, said in an interview Monday. “The rails were a little off by a hair in aligning with each other, so it was not as smooth as we wanted.”

Hartley emphasized that passenger safety was never jeopardized. In New Jersey, amusement rides are inspected and regulated by the state Department of Community Affairs, or DCA.

“If that was the case, we would have never run it and the state of New Jersey would have never approved it,” Hartley said of any possible safety risks.

DCA spokeswoman Tammori Petty said there was an “alignment issue” between the roller coaster’s car and the magnetic drive system that propels the vehicle.

“The tolerance between the car and the drive system required that the operator check the clearance frequently. With better track alignment such checks will be less frequent. The safety of the ride was never in question,” Petty said in an email Monday.

The existing track is being removed and will be replaced by new steel at no cost to Playland, Hartley said. The cost is being absorbed by the roller coaster’s designer, S&S Sansei Technologies of North Logan, Utah, he noted.

Using a huge crane, work crews are dismantling the distinctive blue track that towers above the Boardwalk at 10th Street. A new track is expected to be completed by January, allowing Playland to reopen the roller coaster by Easter weekend in April, Hartley said. Playland is now closed for the off-season.

Gale Force’s grand opening last May came about a year later than originally scheduled. Hartley noted that the delays were caused by similar problems with the track’s alignment.

Hartley said the public’s initial reaction to the ride over the summer was “great.” He added that most riders were never aware that the coaster was slightly bumpy.

The ride propels passengers through a series of breathtaking twists and turns at a top speed of 64 mph while zooming 125 feet high and plunging earthward at about a 90-degree drop. Riders also flip upside down and travel backwards, adding to the thrills.

At times, the coaster gives riders the sensation of free-falling, as if plummeting off the side of a cliff. The ground below disappears as the coaster car contorts, zigzags and swerves along the undulating track.

The roller coaster is a multimillion-dollar ride, but Hartley declined to disclose the exact cost. It is the latest featured attraction at Playland’s Castaway Cove, which originally opened in 1959 and is among Ocean City’s most historic amusement parks.

The Simpson family has owned Playland since its inception. The late David Simpson founded it. His wife, Madelyn, is retired from the business now. Their son, Scott Simpson, has stepped in to run the park along with his wife, Linda, Hartley said.

Visitors to Playland are greeted by the park’s iconic, giant pirate ship overlooking the Boardwalk between 10th and 11th streets. A swashbuckling pirate – complete with an eye patch – and his green parrot form the ship’s whimsical crew.

e34a42163f01d1c7454afc46c4ef5576.jpg

Source

TL;DR the ride is being retracked at no cost to the park as S&S is paying for it.

TilenB

Strata Poster
Oh, hahaha.
How is S&S making any profit from their work? About 50% of their projects seem to be a complete bust.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
^They must have a decent amount of money if they can afford to build a decent-sized factory.

They should just scrap Galeforce and build a Eurofighter...

Last edited: