What's new

UK's Future BIG Coasters

davidm

Strata Poster
Yeah, UK not getting anything BIG for another 20 years.... :(

Can't see any of the existing parks stumping up BIG money for a BIG statement ride because they don't have the money now, they don't look like getting lots of money and they don't think they need to go BIG (and I agree with that last sentiment to some extent - the market just isn't there).

Its all very well being able to "see" a certain kind of ride at a UK park ; but you are kidding yourself.

The one chance for a BIG statement ride (or even a few of them) was the London Resort park as in theory it had backing and it would need to make a big splash - but that is never happening either.

Oh and Brexit of course. FFS. :mad:

Will

Strata Poster
Eventually, Merlin will realise that allowing their UK parks to stagnate will only cause their UK bottom line to do the same and that you can't expect to get money out of something you don't put money into. I accept that they've had a dodgy couple of seasons, but it really is time they moved on from that now, as few people with brain cells are still shaking the 'rollercoasters are evil, dangerous things' rattle.
However, I accept I've been saying that kind of thing for a long while now :(

Still, flights to Germany aren't exactly expensive :p

NickyTheComb

Roller Poster
I think what many are saying is true. Thorpe may get something in 2020 around there but I doubt it'll be the Hyper everyone wants. Blackpool realistically won't have the space apart from maybe removing infusion but something in such a small foot print is unlikely to be something massive and crazy. Alton will likely get a good response with SW8 and go down a family route.

My only hope is that a park like Paultons really decide to step up and take Merlin on. Never been myself but everything they've done so far looks like its been carried out to a really high standard. The only issue is I don't think its location is ideal (right at the bottom of the country which is inaccessible for a lot of northerners like me). Then you have Drayton who look happy enough with Thomas Land and smaller investments. Flamingo Land has potential and a good base to build on and from the times I've been gets busy enough but I can't see them adding anything more than something compact and affordable like a Eurofighter. Then what Lightwater Valley has been circling the drain for years trying to live off The Ultimate and they've had their chances to really build a good park and seemingly never tried. Oakwood seem a similar story. In reality after that you have Fantasy Island which looks to be doing okay but isn't going to be the place for something huge and a few smaller parks.

I think the only chance of seeing any real big investment would be if this London Park/Paramount Park thing happened. That sort of competition would really force the hands of the likes of Merlin but its been proposed and shelved so many times now I think its unlikely

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
I'm obviously not very familiar with the UK parks situation, but do you think Paultons could buy a new-gen Vekoma thrill coaster in the future? Considering how relatively unexpensive Lech and F1 were (both €4.5 Mil I believe), that doesn't look unreasonable that the park would add such a ride. And they already have a seemingly successful business partnership with Vekoma!

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
Blackpool would be the obvious choice for an RMC or a Large Gravity group coaster. not having a new woodie since the 1930's - I think they'd be prime! Space?? no idea!

Alton are a tricky one - because of their restrictions - I could easily see a new Enclosed/dark coaster going in because of this - perhaps in 'coaster corner', an 'arthur' or 'wuze town' style development.
Or a launched water coaster of some kind - to replace the void of the log flume.

Chessington:- A family launch (perhaps Javelen style as has been rumoured before), a small woodie aka Roar-O-saurus would be fab - but thats more a wish than a reality

Thorpe:- a Hyper is an obvious choice or perhaps a b&m floorless looper, a large woodie is another idea, Perhaps also something like Pulsar also (utilising the lakes)

Paultons:- I can see Paultons doing a Tover and building a family woodie - a small gravity group aka Timber or Roarosaurus or GCI similar in size to Heide @ Plopsa. If not maybe a family gerstlauetr.

Drayton:- Hard one, maybe a TROY (although SW8 would be down the road) Or a medium Mack of some kind (lost Gravity/Pulsar/Star Trek etc etc. Or they could follow bellewarde's lead and convert their Pirates ride into a semi-enclosed family-thrill coaster?

Oakwood:- I don't think is long for this world!

Flamingoland:- a new gen Vekoma would breathe some life into this park!

Last edited:

Bert2theSpark

Mega Poster
Screenshot_20180415-122501.jpg

Make what you think of this. Personally I don't believe this.

mouse

Giga Poster
Believe what you want but I know its true, I also heard about it from a reliable source.

I was sat in the toilets by the park entrance when I heard Barry the janitor go into the cubicle next to mine. I thought this was an excellent opportunity to get insider information so I stuck my head under the gap between the cubicles and asked if he knew about any future investments. He said "Um yeah we'll probably get a new roller coaster" so I said "Wow, a B&M hyper?" and he replied "Yeah why not". I then asked if I could borrow some of his toilet paper and promptly un-wedged my head from the between the cubicle wall and the slightly damp floor.

You heard it here first.

Last edited:

GeodieCoasterFan

Mega Poster
Does anybody think it could be a barren few years in the UK? We'd all love to see some big changes but I may being negative but I cant see any major coasters coming in the next couple of years. Think the most likely case is Flamingoland wasting more money on some project

streetmagix

Mega Poster
I think it'll all boil down to how well ICON and Wickerman do. At the moment Wickerman is getting good reviews and Alton seems busier than usual. If ICON provides a similer bounce to BPB then I can see a smaller park investing in something nice. If not then yeah, apart from Project 2020 I don't see much else in the next 5 years or so.

GeodieCoasterFan

Mega Poster
You would hope the first new coaster since the pepsi max would give them a bit of an initial boost regardless but I suppose it depends on the ride quality. do you think the theming helps Wicker Man as I for one was really drawn in by it all?

Project 2020 will be very interesting, if its a hyper you would expect the construction to start sooner rather than later

Matt N

CF Legend
If Project 2020 at Thorpe is a B&M hyper, then I look forward to 2020! Because as you can probably tell by my number 1 coaster, I adore the only B&M hyper I've ever ridden!

spicy

Giga Poster
An out and back hyper running along the old railway line has been rumoured for years with the station being in the loggers area. With loggers not reopening it only strengthens the possibility.

I guess we would start to see some land infill around the loggers lake pretty soon if it were to happen.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
An out and back hyper running along the old railway line has been rumoured for years with the station being in the loggers area. With loggers not reopening it only strengthens the possibility.

I do love this idea, really I do, it would suit the park brilliantly and a B&M hyper would be an amazing coup for the country, let alone the park... but I dunno. Aren't B&M hypers, like, really expensive? Even a comparatively modest one has gotta be £20m+ just for the hardware, right? I just don't see Merlin spending that sort of money on a single coaster, not when there's (more profitable) hotels to be built.

I reckon wood.
Wicker Dude seems to have gone down well, and we know how Merlin like to buy things in pairs, so it would make sense for Thorpe to follow suit and get a woodie too, a bigger one, and market the height and speed of the thing instead of a scary theme.
"The UK's longest, tallest, fastest wooden roller coaster" is a ready-made tagline that could easily be achieved at a much smaller cost than a B&M hyper.
So yeah. My money's on wood.

Benenen

Hyper Poster
Is there actually any substantial rumour to an out and back hyper other than speculation on threads like this and children drawing potential layouts on MS Paint?

Personally I'd love to see Thorpe build something on the island behind Swarm and link it up to Stealth. I really don't like how isolated that ride is to the rest of the park, especially when you compare it to something like Klugheim which can be accessed from four different places all around the park.

streetmagix

Mega Poster
It's true, a B&M Hyper Coaster is expensive but Merlin have a good relationship with B&M, it's entirely possible they'll do a deal to buy 2 or 3 B&Ms in the next few years which should bring the cost down.

It also helps that a Merlin have a lot of things in house which other parks would need to outsource. They have their own design agency, designers, graphics artists, advertising and promotion.

After riding Wicker Man I would be more than happy for a big CGI to come to Thorpe but due to the planning restrictions it could be an issue. I can't remember the exact wording but they can't built anything too obtrusive. It's why Stealth has a very different set of supports to other similar coasters.

As a general point there's only 2 parks really that could build 200ft+ coasters, BPB and Thorpe. Both have already done so of course. I can't see anywhere else in the UK that would permit a 200ft+ ride. This is probably now or never for a Hyper Coaster in the UK so I really hope they pull the trigger.