What's new

Rides that still genuinely scare you...

Edward M

Strata Poster
You can add Mine Blower to my list. There was something unsafe about it. It wasn't that I felt like I wasn't actually safe. It just felt like a coaster shouldn't be doing this. Headchoppers, insane turns, hills that shouldn't have airtime that hard. My front seat ride wasn't scary at all but that back seat ride. I still don't know wtf that was.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
^My friend Andrew who's doing DCP rode that and it became his number one and he hasn't shut up about it since haha. I'm a huge GG fan and I already wanted to ride it but hearing that I'm literally about to hitchhike down to Florida!

I can usually handle little tiny drop towers but the one at Knoebels stopped way later than I expected it to and that really freaked me out. Like, the way I reacted I don't think I'll hear the end of it for a while. :p

Ven

Roller Poster
Unfortunately, I haven't found any coasters that still scare me.
I have a list of "highest, fastest, most thrilling" coasters on my to do list though. Hopefully, one of them will at least make me slightly nervous when I get on. (E.g. Top Thrill Dragster)

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
It's the lap bar and the fact that you're 420ft up. So scary.

I know It's been a while, but I found that with the amount of adrenaline in you, you don't even realize how high up you are and it's not too scary.
Mind you I have a fear of heights, so I conquered that for the most part.
Still have a fear of rough coasters though.

Mack

Mega Poster
I feel like Dragster happens so gaddamn fast that it's like....vroom vroom.....oh, wow that tower is really rushing toward us.

Haha, like I can't process what's happening as it is.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Yeah, the first time I rode Dragster I was nervous waiting in line, and especially on the track waiting for the launch. BUT once I'd done TTD, then I had little to no nervousness for my first rides on Kingda Ka, Xcelerator, Storm Runner, etc.

For me, I only tend to get nervous or scared when I'm riding something intense *that is new to me*. Once I've experienced that new thing, the anxiety is exorcised, even for different rides that are the same type of ride/element as that first one.

And that's why I find it intriguing that a group of CoasterForce vets -- people who've ridden everything -- could possibly all find Karnan terrifying. It makes me extremely curious to ride it.

Mack

Mega Poster
lmao yeah my brain is just too slow to immediately go like "Oh, that was the launch!" it's like "whaaa....wha happen..."

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
And that's why I find it intriguing that a group of CoasterForce vets -- people who've ridden everything -- could possibly all find Karnan terrifying. It makes me extremely curious to ride it.

But Karnan has a unique element to it, so it was new for all of us who hadn't ridden it before. Even knowing what it did, when you see it in real life it's ****ing huge (it's technically a hyper). I need to reride it now the fear has worn off but I'd wager that it'd still make me nervous. It's literally the best ride I've ever been on for build-up and anticipation.

The only thing I can compare it to is waiting for your first ever ride on Disney's Tower of Terror - you know what it is but there's still the fear of the unknown.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Not gonna lie, my first ride on Voyage at night had me anxious going up the lift hill. I had known how awesome a ride it was; but really felt butterflies for my first time!

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
I only tend to get nervous or scared when I'm riding something intense *that is new to me*.
Spot on. The fear of not knowing how it's going to treat you is what mostly gets me these days.
Either through a new ride type with a notoriety for intensity like Dinoconda or Arashi.
Or a ride with a bad reputation, similar to something I've suffered from before, like 'the worst wooden rollercoaster in the world' Bandit.
All turned out to be hilariously fun instead.

Kärnan may take the crown though. Had the whole ride to myself on a first go. I couldn't tell if it was me or the tower that was shaking more. Music blaring, sitting on the lift for what feels like forever... and then they went and made the ride even better.

Will

Strata Poster
I'm prepared to believe it's one of those 'I guess you had to be there' things, but I really don't get this with Karnan.
To be honest, I struggle to think of anything other than big drop towers like Scream or HC that still give me that rush - one of the reasons I like drop towers so much.

And Bandit will never be the worst wooden rollercoaster in the world, so long as Coaster Express exists.

NickyTheComb

Roller Poster
Like many on this thread nothing really genuinely gets me but I still get an uncomfortable feeling for a few seconds waiting at the top of drop towers. Maybe just the uncertainty of when its going to happen.

astead04

Roller Poster
Phantom Manor at Disneyland Paris. Hate to sound like a pussy but it's a long story.
Summer 2007. I was 5 years old. I mostly had a good day at Disneyland Paris...but my parents basically dragged me on Phantom Manor, which, as a lot of you coaster fans should know, is a bit darker and scarier than the California, Florida and Tokyo versions of the Haunted Mansion. I remember having my head down most of the ride, and when I looked up, it was that scene just after the Bride's Boudoir (the room where there is a large skull shape in a mirror) where the evil, skeletal Phantom can be seen, evilly cackling next to an open grave with an undead dog by his side.
After this one ride, my family never went near Phantom Manor for the remainder of the time we were there. I enjoy the ride now, but I still feel a little scared/nervous and get a little chill when I am walking up to the Manor's doors.

Benenen

Hyper Poster
Mission Space. Even on repeat rides my heart rate goes up while waiting for it to start. I think it's mainly that claustrophobic moment when it shuts you in and the screen practically touches your nose but the reminder of the sick bags ratchets up the tension too.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Star Flyers.
It's the chains. Waaaaay too thin. I've seen stronger looking chains being worn as jewellery.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Star Flyers.
It's the chains. Waaaaay too thin. I've seen stronger looking chains being worn as jewellery.
Huh? You were banging on about these when we were away calling me a pussy the whole time and now you come out with this????

1241989_1.jpg