CF Lives 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Eeek! Chessington has come round so quickly! ICYMI...

MEET AT THE COMPASS IN ADVENTURE POINT (the old Market Square) BY 10:15.

My mobile number is (unchanged) 07787 573565. Please do text me if you're running late!

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
I'm up for Chessington, because it would be rude not too! But does anyone know of any good deals? Because I'm not spending almost £50 entrance!

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
I'm up for Chessington, because it would be rude not too! But does anyone know of any good deals? Because I'm not spending almost £50 entrance!
Merlin has 2-for-1 vouchers on some Cadbury's sweets at the moment, so assuming you can find someone else that needs a ticket that's probaby your best option.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'm going to tell you a story.

Those who have been lucky enough to go on a longish drive in my car will know that it does this "thing". It's called the "thing" because nobody knows how to solve the problem. Occasionally when I start the engine it goes into "safe mode" meaning a sensor has picked up an error. In safe mode, it is impossible to rev higher than 2,500 RPM or travel over 10mph. Usually resetting the car (and this sounds stupid) by switching it off, opening the door, closing and locking, then unlocking, opening and starting up again, she (yes, I refer to my car in the female term, get over it) works fine. A "power cycle" in computer terms.

This problem has dogged my car ever since I've had it and on several occasions resetting has not worked and I've been towed home (Chris Brown will testify to that!). A few years ago it was happening so much, I took it to BMW who did their diagnostics and replaced the throttle valve sensor. She worked fine for about a year. Over the last few months, the fault has crept back in. Yesterday she would not reset and I spent 30mins in the work car park until I decided to drive it home in safe mode. Motorists behind were not happy, but I'm a BMW driver, so I didn't care...and besides, the car in front of me always irritates me. It was nice to wear the shoe on the other foot for a change.

This morning it did the same thing, but I still drove to work because it's only a few miles and at 4am, it wouldn't piss people off. When I finished at 11am, I drove home again at 10mph irritating everybody behind. A quick call to BMW who are stumped as to why it keeps happening and suggested that changing the wiring at a cost of £800 might, yes might, fix it. I laughed and hung up the phone. Using a tool kit, google and YouTube, I tinkered with the top half of the engine and removed the MAF and EGR valve sensors (I know what they are but don't know what the acronyms mean) and gave them both a bloody good clean because they were covered in ****. I also did an oil change with engine flush, popped a bit of Redex in the petrol tank for good measure and reset the on-board computer. I started her up and, touch wood, she's ok. I took her on a little test run, stopped and started a few times and everything seems ok.

What relevance does this have with the Chessington Live? I'm going to drive and if the thing reoccurs, I might be late. I will get there by other means, but I might be late. I hope it works because the car could do with a good run. If I am running late, I'll text a few people who have said they are attending. Please don't wait about for me to arrive, I will catch up with everybody when I do. Hopefully, thinking positively, I'll be there at Market Adventure Square Point by 10:15 ready for a day of faff and fun.

Thank you for reading.

TLDR: Car problems, might be late for CWOA meet up.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Bummer about the beemer dude, but an entertaining story nevertheless. Thanks for sharing, see you Sunday... ish. Good luck!

Smithy

Strata Poster
EGR valve/sensor is an absolute ballache but is usually the common cause of cars going into limp mode.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Notgonnalie, out of all the Lives this year, I was quite ambivalent about Chelsie, could take it or not. But now it's the day before the Live, those good ol' excitement feelings about riding creds and meeting up with CFers have got the better of me. Really looking forward to it!

Weather: Max 18 degrees, cloudy, chance of rain late afternoon. Perfect theme park weather,

Anywa, I'm off out to a BBQ tonight, last gasp of summer I guess, then I'll be up early for the drive to Chessie. See you all in the morning!

Chessington World of Advennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnturrres! Fun fact, it was the entrance music at CWOA that led to some of us singing all ride names/park names to their tune.

davidm

Strata Poster
Well thats worth a £50 punt now and worry about the details later.... booked. :)
EDIT : and that hotel too - I do like it when someone else does all the thinking for me. Ta. ;)
Arsing Ryanair just cancelled my (return) flight though....

...rebooked it for earlier in the day, but that puts paid to any Barca-sightseeing on the Monday then. Arses.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
^I had an email off Ryanair today - they've got a sale on!! Including flights to Barca and Reus from £9.99 on the Live weekend.
Probably have to pay a little extra on the day for, y'know, a pilot n stuff, but still. Bargain!

davidm

Strata Poster
^ yeah from Stanstead I guess, and no-one wants to fly from Stanstead!

I also got an email from Ryanair later today with an £80 compensation-for-messing-you-about-voucher associated with it ; trying to work out now whether I can cancel (and get a refund) my flights then buy them again using the voucher - thus them becoming FREE.

Jack723

Roller Poster
We have decided to book for Altons fireworks! Can't wait to finally meet some other enthusiasts. Our first theme park firework event and out first CoasterForce Live!

NeoXIII

Best Newcomer 2016
Really want to do Fireworks again this year, but First Group Bus has stopped going up to the Towers so I have no way of going nor returning to the resort >.<

Georgie-M

Mega Poster
So on top of the situation in Barcelona and the possible airport strikes I've now discovered that my airline's gone under and my flights have been cancelled - it's bad omen after bad omen for this trip it seems! I blame Friday 13th.. Probably gonna drop out at this point as trying to find an alternative may be more trouble than it's worth. I'm sure there'll be plenty of opportunities to visit the park in the future anyway... i hope

Smithy

Strata Poster
'ere what with 2018 likely to be a frankly ridiculous year I'm hoping/assuming there'll at least be a live over at Liseberg next year?

DelPiero

Strata Poster
'ere what with 2018 likely to be a frankly ridiculous year I'm hoping/assuming there'll at least be a live over at Liseberg next year?
I'd like some more info on the potential invert at Grona before I dive into Liseberg again. I might wait until that's built then do a holy trinity trip.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Gorna's is several years away. No reason why we can't just do Liseberg next year and then a bigger trip when both are open. So many B&Ms...what a time to be alive!

Status
Not open for further replies.