What's new

Music Recommendations

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I'm only likely to post in one topic a week, but each time, you know it's coming ;)

Sent from my E6683 using Tapatalk

Howie

Donkey in a hat
< Darth Sidious voice>
'It is unavoidable.
it is your destiny...'

(You'll notice I used lines from Jedi. Yeah, that's deliberate that is).

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Just bought Galactic Empire's début album. It's a "metal" album of covers of Star Wars music.

It's more fantastic than you can image. @davidm will appreciate it I reckon, but not @Howie due to a lack of Ewoks and metal bikinis :p

Howie

Donkey in a hat
^You know as well as I do that if an Ewok strutted on and thrashed out an epic guitar solo, then that video would be even better than it already is.
You know it.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I've recently been getting back into Vulfpeck. Great stuff for those into old school funk.

jayjay

Giga Poster
Stuff I've listened to recently and like...
Sampha - mostly just this track, which is sort of depressing and comforting at the same time.

Ola Kvernberg - Been really into Norwegian music recently for no apparent reason, and Todd Terje's* remix of Mechnical Fair introduced me to Kvernberg, who is a sort of jazz-ish strings composer. It's an atmospheric slow burn type of music.

Mai Lan - To stop looking super serious, this track is fab! (there's also Technique, which is ****ing weird, but I kinda love it)

*Thanks to @Sandman for introducing me to Todd Terje :p

mouse

Giga Poster
Just got Sampha's album and I already love it at first listen. He has a great voice that is very soulful but not too showy, and the production is spot on. My favourite track so far is probably the one @jayjay mentioned.

Other albums I've enjoyed lately include Solange's 'A Seat at the Table', Bowie's 'Blackstar', Anderson Paak's 'Malibu', 'Chaleur Humaine' by Christine and the Queens' and the new A Tribe Called Quest album.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Welcome to the first in a (very) occasional series of teasingly topical, (very) vaguely, coaster-related tracks.
Coaster tracks, geddit?

Trivia - That front man is Gem Archer, who went on to be in Oasis. True fact.

Sandman

Giga Poster
Loving Sampha's new album, jayjay! If you haven't played it through then it's worth a go when you have the time.

I've gone back onto The White Stripes at the moment. I just love that signature heavy hitting Bass/Drum rhythm. This one is a lesser known track, with all the catchiness and rock necessary to make a good White Stripes song!

jayjay

Giga Poster
If you like slating other people's taste in music, I'm running a "music swap" game over in Forum Fun. Gonna be fun. ( I'm aware some people ignore FF and I probably should've put it here first ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)

Sandman

Giga Poster
Recently been giving Lenny Kravitz a listen, and although his albums are not entirely consistent in sound, he has a lot of great tracks.

Fly Away is one of my favourites and is very memorable and popular. Lots of great funky bass and a catchy chorus to boot.

jayjay

Giga Poster
More stuff I've been enjoying lately
Temples - Volcano: I've spammed this album everywhere because it's fab and seriously slept on. A blend of neo-60s psychadelia and synth rock with some very catchy hooks. Like a poppier version of Tame Impala

Blanck Mass - World Eater: Not what I'd usually go for. Dark, highly textured drone/post-rock productions. Opens with a phenomenal one-two sequence of tracks: A demented fairground music box amps up the aggression into Rhesus Negative (linked) which is nine minutes of pounding, boiling anger and noise.

And finally, my favourite Norwegian ice queen and current obsession is back with a new album. Get hyped for more Susanne Sundfør! Gonna be more classical and arty but if it's got another Memorial in it, I'm all ears.

supersion

Mega Poster
Well I guess this is a bit of a plug in... as I'm also showcasing work of mine...

However I recently made a Music video for a Band called Sugarthief, to their song Joy Affair
It's a great song, you guys should definitely check them out, available on spotify! :)

Last edited:

Sandman

Giga Poster
My favourite Boards of Canada track (or at least one of). Must be played at least 5 times in a row because it's only a wee thing.

These guys are Gods of electronic music. If you haven't listened to them before I suggest 2 albums in particular, Geogaddi (2002) and Tomorrow's Harvest (2013). Some very otherworldly sounding stuff.

Mack

Mega Poster
@Sandman Ah! Boards of Canada has always been one of my favorites. Somehow I came across Geogaddi around 2004 and was like, whoa. This is something special and awesome.