What's new

Walibi Belgium ready for its transformation!

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
This is coooooool because that park isn't that awesome but clearly has potential to be. It's like they have a lot of filler attractions that many large parks lack, but they don't have the large crowd drawers? That park could be REALLY good and feel like a packed, full day if only it had a large coaster... Or two. I mean, I'd like two. But I'll accept one.

After that, the only thing left to do will be to sort the appaling food out.

Then you have a really awesome park that has great public transport access.

KristofWB

Hyper Poster
And by this time, kiddiecoaster 'La Coccinelle' is removed!

230917val1.jpg

Picture by Looopings.nl

KristofWB

Hyper Poster
Massive update on the parks transformation plus the announcement of another new ride for 2020; a Gerstlauer Sky Fly and huge new slide for Aqualibi waterpark!

New entrance Walibi Belgium:

20170920_Walibi%2BRIP.compressed-page-026.jpg

20170920_Walibi%2BRIP.compressed-page-028.jpg

Zone Vampire, Weerwolf, Coccinelle:

20170920_Walibi%2BRIP.compressed-page-031.jpg

Zone Pulsar en FlashBack:

20170920_Walibi%2BRIP.compressed-page-034.jpg

Zone Dalton Terror + new thrillride Gerstlauer Sky Fly (oude locatie Inferno):

20170920_Walibi%2BRIP.compressed-page-038.jpg

20170920_Walibi%2BRIP.compressed-page-039.jpg

Zone Walibi Playland + new kiddie coaster:

20170920_Walibi%2BRIP.compressed-page-047.jpg

Zone Ali Baba

20170920_Walibi%2BRIP.compressed-page-051.jpg

Aqualibi + nieuwe glijbaan:

20170920_Walibi%2BRIP.compressed-page-054.jpg

JoshC.

Strata Poster
It's crazy just how much we're beginning to know of the transformation. It looks awesome, but how many parks go all out and say 'we're getting this, themed to this, going here' for the next 3-4 years. It's just mad.

Lofty

CF Legend
That's brilliant - some of those areas are beautiful - I wonder who they're going to get in to do it? My guess would be Jora.

KristofWB

Hyper Poster
Another thing is that Walibi Belgium announced the very first 'Erratic' dark-ride in the world. A interactive dark ride from Belgian company Alterface and ETF Ride Systems. A darkride with trackless cars, where visitors can choose which direction to take during the ride, with several endings and the park can choose which way cars of the dark ride go to. The name of the ride will probably be 'Popcorn Revenge' and will be based on several moviescenes from wellknown movies.

There is a huge article about this darkride on a Belgian website, I will translate it later when I have got more time ;)

So...what new rides may we expect in the near future?

* 2018: Gerstlauer Bobsled Coaster
* 2018: Adventuretrail above Gold River Adventure
* 2019: Alterface and ETF Rides Erratic darkride
* 2019: Zierer Force-190 kiddiecoaster
* 2020: Mack Twist 'n' Splash
* 2020: Gerstlauer Sky Fly
* 2021: Megacoaster

Last edited:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
That mega coaster layout looks pretty cool. I sort of wish it had another couple of large hills, but the low level corners could be really good!

Long time to wait though... :p

KristofWB

Hyper Poster
Today, a lot of things have been announced about Walibi Belgium's future attractions, and there is even more! This time it's about the interactive dark ride that will open in the spring of 2019 in the Ali Baba section of the park. Walibi will get the first ever Erratic® attraction from Alterface in collaboration with ETF Ride Systems.

thumb_bcf796d86942dcb5fb8a70460576b1e5_660_300_0.jpg

The zone 7: Ali Baba, from Walibi Belgium's plans, will finally get a real attraction after many years. In the former Ali Baba Palace, there will be a new modern dark ride. Originally it was planned to be a spinning theater, but now it turns out that it is another type of ride. Alterface unveiled at the EAS conference that they are working with ETF Ride Systems for this brand new attraction. So, the park will get a second attraction with trackless vehicles after the successful dark ride Challenge of Tutankhamon.

This new concept of Alterface has got a trademark called Erratic® ride. Freely translated "erratic" means "moves in an unexpected way", and that is exactly the idea of this new attraction. Guests will board a trackless vehicle and, depending on the settings of the attraction, will drive in certain rooms. This vehicle system is just known from Challenge of Tutankhamon, but also from Ratatouille at Disneyland Paris and Symbolica at Efteling. Unlike those attractions, there is no fixed course and you may experience another course when you re-ride the attraction (more than the three tours of Symbolica). For example, the transition is not just turning to the next scene, but they can let the vehicles do certain actions like fast-rotating.

The system can be used to offer a nice attraction on a limited area. For example, you can use dead-end and go in many directions instead of driving in one direction. By way of illustration, we can take the Ratatouille attraction. In one of the later parts of the attraction, the vehicles suddenly go into a separate dome for a scene and thus the three vehicles are split. Then they all drive together to the end. Thus, with this system, it is possible, for example, to drive back one of the vehicles, let one move forward and the last one just changes in the dome. This is to prove that the park itself can choose how they want to fill in the ride. In fact, there is also a possibility to let visitors choose their own route. For example, visitors who get better scores can do faster and more scenes than others who need more time.

The challenge here is the story of the attraction. Inventors will have to think about how they can use the technology and provide beautiful transitions between the scenes. For example, do you want to return to a scene you have previously done? Do you let the vehicles meet each other, or not? Alterface therefore offers its own IP: Popcorn Revenge. The story has not yet been fully elaborated and there are still no images available but the base is there; As a visitor you go to the movie and want to eat popcorn, but the popcorn are done with being eaten. They escape and prefer to play in the movies themselves. To collect them back: the super hero popcorn, the pirate popcorn, the magician popcorn ... What it all looks like is not known yet, but it will be based on existing and well-known movie scenes. Effects will be done with video mapping but also screens, real-world decors, lighting effects, etc. The shooting system is not confirmed yet. On the concept art, we already see that there are seven different rooms next to the station building. There is enough time to 2019 to finalize everything, but this first glance promises a unique attraction for Walibi Belgium.

peep

CF Legend
2018: Gerstlauer Bobsled Coaster

Glad to hear this is still happening, there was a map showcasing all the additions yesterday and it didn't seem to be present.

I love the sound of the dark ride system but I can't help but feel the popcorn theme is a bit random if it's going into an Ali baba themed area?

KristofWB

Hyper Poster
Glad to hear this is still happening, there was a map showcasing all the additions yesterday and it didn't seem to be present.

The coasterplans are still there! In fact, preparations for the construction are almost finished. The lake from the Gold River Adventure is pumped empty now for the construction of the coaster. And a big part of what will become the Tiki zone is now behind fences and the path between the Wild West area and Challenge of Tutankhamon is closed due to the construction of the new rollercoaster. An extra path has opened at the backstage of the park, going from the first aid stand to the 'Espace de Moulin' VIP area (location of the future Megacoaster), which will become home of the Quarantine haunted house and Quarantine scare zone this Halloween.

nan3mn74gdwst.jpg

pu8orfrlreemk.jpg

Pictures from ParkFanExplorer on Facebook

JoshC.

Strata Poster
This 5 year plan is just getting better and better. It's a bit of a shame that the new dark ride isn't going to fit with its surrounding area, but the idea behind it sounds great. And as a standalone theme, I love the concept - almost Maus au Chocolat like at heart. <3

Lofty

CF Legend
It's weird that they've gone for a 'stock shelf' dark ride theme when they're bothering to create bespoke themed areas for the rest of the park.

balrog

Mega Poster
It's weird that they've gone for a 'stock shelf' dark ride theme when they're bothering to create bespoke themed areas for the rest of the park.

I'm not sure they did. For now all i've seen was that they went for the "popcorn revenge type" dark ride. Not necessarily with the popcorn revenge storyline itself. I might hace miss something though.

Lofty

CF Legend
I'm not sure they did. For now all i've seen was that they went for the "popcorn revenge type" dark ride. Not necessarily with the popcorn revenge storyline itself. I might hace miss something though.
I think it's a bit too precise to be an alternate storyline - if it was just the technology that's shared between both ride types it would have spoke about the technological side of it more and not the specific theme and IP. Considering that Alterface have made their own IP that they plan to sell to various parks.

KristofWB

Hyper Poster
I am pretty sure that the 'Popcorn Revenge' theme will be displayed in the ride. I think it might be somekind of deal between the park and Alterface, because aswell Walibi Belgium and Alterface are both located in the same city; Wavre, and both companies are neighbors. However, Walibi Belgium has claimed, before it was announced it would be an Erratic darkride, it would be a spinning interactive theater that would make visitors get to know the 'Worlds of Walibi', the whole story behind the retheme. Guess we'll see what it is going to be in 2019.

For the megacoaster, more and more rumors point into direction of Intamin being the manufacturer of the ride. Dutch 'themeparktabloidswesite' Looopings.nl claims it is going to be Intamin aswell. Fans are now waiting for the annual Walibi Belgium RollerCoaster Fan Day in October as they believe the manufacturer of the megacoaster may be revealed that same day. Fan Days from Walibi Belgium are known for the news giving that day. Challenge of Tutankhamon, Psyké Underground and Pulsar were all announced during previous Fan Days.